KEY ACTIONS PLANNED AND CONDUCTED BY GENDARMERIE GENERAL COMMAND
DATE: 15 March 2016
NUMBER: PR - 05 / 15
- With the professionalism percentage of the Gendarmerie General Command being reached to 70% through the recruitment of 35.000 specialized sergeants until the end of 2019, the essential preparations will have been completed for the purpose that the Gendarmerie General Command shall serve for the country and citizens at a professional level.
- Within the framework of Domestic/Abroad Professional Development Plan for 2015, (2) personnel were sent to abroad post graduate education and (9) personnel were sent to abroad PhD education. A quota for (40) domestic post graduate education, (15) of which being in the non-military universities was established and (5) personnel were sent to domestic PhD education, (3) of whom being in the non-military universities.
- In order to prevent crisis taking place in various regions of the world and to re-establish regional peace, the Gendarmerie General Command makes contributions to the Peace Support Operations carried out under United Nations, European Union and NATO by providing a total of (275) personnel of whom (26) are in Kosovo, (60) are in Bosnia Herzegovina and (189) are in Afghanistan.
Within the scope of the Foreign Relations and Abroad Secondment Plan 2015, a total of (178) activities of which (171) being planned and (7) unplanned were carried out in (48) countries by the Gendarmerie General Command. In these activities, a total of (641) personnel were assigned.
Within the scope of the Foreign Relations and Abroad Secondment Plan 2016, (227) activities are planned in (49) countries and (852) personnel are planned to be assigned.
Within the framework of the works for the Turkey’s accession process to the European Union,
- a. The following projects are still being carried out;
- (1) Strengthening the Forensic Capacity of Turkey,
- (2) Improving the Institutional Capacity of Judicial Authorities and Law Enforcement Organizations in the field of Witness Protection,
- (3) Improvement of the Crime Analysis and Development of a Crime Prevention Strategy in Turkey,
- b. The following projects are at the stage of contract preparation;
- (1) Improving Turkey’s Capacity in Crime Scene Investigation,
- (2) Improving the Institutional Capacity in Riot Control,
- c. The following projects are at the stage of preparation;
- (1) Furnishing the Women and Juvenile Sections in Provinces and Providing Necessary Equipment in Riot Control,
- (2) Improving the Administrative and Institutional Capacity of the Law Enforcement Forces in the Fight against Terrorism,
- (3) Improving the Institutional Capacity of the Gendarmerie General Command in the Fight against Cyber Crimes,
- (4) Project on Forensic Expertise Training for Forensic Sciences and Advanced Investigations,
- (5) Improving the Capacity of the Law Enforcement Forces in the Fight against Discrimination and Hate Speech.
- “The Project on the Prevention of Domestic Violence against Women” which aimed to enhance the quality and diversity of services provided to women by the Gendarmerie within the scope of preventing violence, started on the 23rd July 2013 and was carried out between the years of 2013 and 2015. It was completed on the 23rd July 2015. In this project, Coordination and Awareness-Raising Workshops were held in (30) provinces. (250) ranked personnel of whom (21) being expert trainers were trained as trainers and these personnel gave training to (2.066) ranked personnel and (19.350) recruits in their provinces. Moreover, (90.000) handbooks were prepared and distributed as a reference document on “Domestic Violence against Women” to the ranked personnel assigned in the Gendarmerie Public Order Teams and to the Gendarmerie education institutions.
- With a view to carrying out public order duties more effectively and efficiently and bringing services to the citizens and, if required, in order to go where the citizen is and to take his/her statement and then to conduct station proceedings, Mobile Station Public Order Vehicles for road and terrain that have equipment such as radio, computer, generator, printer and mini fridge have been included in the inventory of the Gendarmerie General Command and begun to be used.
- The units started to use Public Order Motorcycles for the purpose of maintaining general security and public order, intervening in incidents and controlling traffic.
- Multi-Purpose Small Cross Country Vehicles and Snow Scooters started to be utilized by the units in order to maintain security and public order in the places of winter and mountain tourism, to find lost people, to evacuate sick and injured people and to rescue people stuck under avalanche.
- The construction of high security buildings in the region in which more sheltered buildings and facilities are needed for fighting against terrorism started in 2009 by the Gendarmerie General Command and up to now, (119) buildings were completed.
- Within the scope of the international education/training activities, (136) Guest Military Personnel from (12) countries [Azerbaijan (17), Bangladesh (2), the Gambia (1), Kırghızstan (4), Kazakhstan (4), Senegal (3), Congo (3), Djibouti (3), Mauritania (3), Qatar (83), Turkmenistan (11) and Afghanistan (2)] were trained in 2015. Moreover, from among these personnel “Crime Scene Investigation Techniques and CSI after Explosion-Awareness” course was given to (11) Officers and (1) NCO from Djibouti, Senegal, Congo Republic and the Islamic Republic of Mauritania by UJEM. In the academic year of 2016-2017, it is planned to give education to (290) personnel from (11) different countries.
- In November 2015, the Gendarmerie Schools Command was admitted to the ERASMUS Student Exchange Program which is a post-graduate education program providing for the “international exchange of university instructors and students”, aiming for enhancing the quality of post-graduate education in Europe and encouraging intercountry cooperation between the universities. The works for coordinating the exchange of instructors and students with universities still continue and it is planned to start instructor exchange as from 2016.
- Within the scope of extending the project of “Civic Training for Mehmetçik” to all Service Commands, a model implementation was carried out in Bilecik Training Regiment. Beginning from the conscription period in February 2016, it was started to be implemented in all training units.
- Gendarmerie Integrated Communication and Information System, which is the first and the most comprehensive public safety communications project, has been completed in 50 provinces including Adana, Aydın, Bursa, Istanbul, Ankara, Konya, Kastamonu and Kayseri and initiated to be used actively.
Furthermore, a protocol was signed and the installation activities were initiated in order that the General Directorate of Emergency Health Services takes advantage of the Gendarmerie Integrated Communication and Information System wireless infrastructure in 50 provinces. Currently, the units and ambulances of the General Directorate of Emergency Health Services receive wireless communications via the Gendarmerie Integrated Communication and Information System.