HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION IN THE TURKISH ARMED FORCES (TAF)
Various education and training units of TAF at different levels provide education in human rights with a view to raising consciousness among TAF personnel at the highest level about human rights, which increasingly gains importance, and to ensure that they have good knowledge about international treaties and conventions to which Turkey is a party. In this context, education provided by the Turkish Armed Forces is as follows:
- Partnership for Peace (PFP) Training Center covers topics about human rights in its following courses;
- “Border Security and Management Course”,
- "The Law of Armed Conflict" Course,
- "United Nations Military Observer" Course,
- "Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Course",
- "Civil-Military Interaction/CIMIC Course".
In the primary training centers and the troops, rank and files are being educated on the topics below within the scope of “Civic Training for Conscripts”
Fundamental Human Rights Training
- Definition of Human Rights,
- Functions of Human Rights,
- Content of Human Rights,
- Mechanisms for Human Rights Protection.
Legal Empowerment Training
- Fundamental Rights and Protection of Human Rights,
- Fundamental Citizenship Rights, Rights to Work and Rights of Groups with Special Needs,
- Basic Criminal Law,
- Fundamental Civic Rights and Rights Related to the Legal Necessities of Civil Life.
Children’s Rights Training
- Basic Concepts of Rights of the Child,
- Education and Development of the Child,
- The Right to Participation,
- Violations of the Rights of the Child.
Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Training
- Women and Education,
- Women and Economic Life,
- Women and Legal Equality,
- Violence against Women.
Various training provided in other units:
- Those personnel serving in the military prisons and jails receive regular training in the courses annually opened in the Ministry of Justice Judicial Sentence Execution Institutions and Prisons Personnel Training Center Ankara under the protocols concluded between Ministry of National Defense and Ministry of Justice.
- The official candidates who will be newly assigned to the Turkish Armed Forces are provided training in human rights in the orientation courses.
- Those personnel participating in the Peace Support Operations and Internal Security Operations are provided with training in the rules to be applied regarding human rights.
- "Course on International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law in Peace Operations" is received abroad within the scope of Foreign Professional Development Program.