GENERAL OVERVIEW OF EXERCISES
Given their contents and level of participation, exercises are classified as follows:
- National Exercises: Exercises conducted by the elements of Turkish Armed Forces with the participation of national public institutions and organizations, if necessary.
- NATO Exercises: Exercises scheduled by NATO and conducted with the participation of NATO members.
- NATO/PfP Exercises: Exercises scheduled by NATO and conducted with the participation of NATO/PfP (Partnership for Peace) member countries.
- Special (Bilateral-Trilateral) Exercises: Exercises conducted under the protocols concluded in accordance with the bilateral or trilateral Agreements.
- Invitation Exercises (INVITEX): National exercises to which forces of other nations are invited to participate.
- Passage Exercises (PASSEX): Short-term exercises conducted by surface and underwater elements subordinate to the Turkish Navy along with primarily NATO members in order to enhance the relationships between nations.
- The objective of the exercises is to determine and test the level of training which is achieved in peacetime.
- Today, exercises increasingly tend to be small-scale, combined, joint, partnership and cooperation exercises in which as many nations as possible participate. As a result, exercises serve to enhance peace, friendship and cooperation.