BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GENERAL STAFF HEADQUARTERS BUILDING
The area where the Turkish General Staff Headquarters building is now located was formerly an empty field before the construction started. Upon the announcement that the General Staff, which was operating in the School of Agriculture in Ankara, was searching for a place for the construction of the headquarters building, the owner of the field stated that he wished to donate his field. Considering the legal troubles that might occur in future, the field was purchased from the proprietor upon the order of the then Commander of the Turkish Armed Forces Marshall Fevzi ÇAKMAK by paying 5 kurushes for a square metre. The design of the building was drawn by the Austrian Architect Professor Clemens HOLZMEISTER who was also the architect of many state buildings constructed in Ankara during those times. The initials of the words Erkan-ı Harbiye that stands for the General Staff were taken as a basis and the building was named Büyük Erkan-ı Harbiye (Great General Staff). The building the construction of which was conducted by Haydar ve Şürekası (Haydar and His Partners) contractor firm in 1929 was completed and inaugurated in 1930. The General Staff Headquarters and the Ministry of National Defence Headquarters that had been operating in separate buildings were attached together in 1959. Since the existing building did not meet the requirements, an additional building was constructed in 1970.
GENERAL STAFF HEADQUARTERS BUILDING